It's the Canada Day long weekend this weekend and I've got the perfect salad for a barbecue today! I obtained this recipe from All Recipes but I put a little twist on it. And by "twist" I mean I simply added an avocado ; ) It's so easy to make and tastes delicious. Oh and it's vegan AND gluten-free. I hope you like it!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or more
- 1 1/2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
1. Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
3. Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa, toss to coat. Stir in cilantro and avacado and season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.
Have a great weekend everyone!