In my last post I shared my skincare routine with you and today I thought I'd follow that up with some tips and secrets for healthy skin that have really helped me : ). Some of these you may have heard of before but I think they're all worth repeating!
1. First tip: Always take your makeup off before you go to bed and wash your face. Always. Even if you've been out partying all night, had too much to drink, can't really walk in a straight line and it's the last thing you want to do. If you don't, your makeup will sink into your skin and clog your pores and make you more prone to pimples the next day. Even if you can't wash your face, at least use makeup wipes to get that gunk off.
2. Always use a moisturizer or better yet - a sunblock - on your face with an SPF of 15 or higher when you're out in the sun. And if your body is exposed, slather it up, too. You don't want to end up looking like this.
3. Stay away from tanning beds. They will age you considerably. I don't care how nice you look with a tan, how are you going to feel when you turn 30 and people think you're forty? Or when the doctor tells you you have skin cancer? And hey, I understand the allure of tanning beds and looking all beach-y and sun-kissed, I used tanning beds to get ready for my Grade 12 prom and for a few months in my early twenties and I really regret it now. I'll take my paste-y white skin over premature wrinkles any day.
4. Use eye cream around your lips to prevent fine lines from forming.
5. Add a bit of turmeric to any homemade face mask (I add it to my manuka honey and lemon one). Turmeric (which you can get at the grocery store) has anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and helps to clear acne scars, nourishes the skin and gives your face a natural glow. Just be careful when you use it, it can be messy and can stain.
6. Make sure when you put moisturizer, creams and serums on your face that you apply them to your neck, too. It needs just as much love as your mug ; ).
Fruits and veggies are so good for our skin!
7. You are what you eat and what we put into our bodies will show on our skin. Beauty really does start from within. So eat a healthy, balanced diet and drink green juice. Juicing is a great way to get that natural glow!
8. Drink more water. Drinking 8 or more glasses a day will help rid the body and skin of toxins. Hydration affects the skin, in a good way. (It will help with that glow!)
9. Did you know olive oil is a great, all-natural makeup remover? It can also be used as a moisturizer. My Aunt has only used olive oil on her face for the past 50 years and she has amazing skin!
10. Use Vick's Vapo Rub on pimples to help reduce the size and inflammation and get rid of them faster. Works like a charm!
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Have a great weekend!