Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Met Gala 2014 Favorites and Questionables

Last night was the 2014 Met Gala celebrating the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Fashion Exhibit "Charles James: Beyond Fashion." And these dresses were beyond stunning! (See what I did there?) My favorites: Emma Stone in a gorgeous two-piece Thakoon number, Jessica Pare in a black and white printed Michael Kors gown and Suki Waterhouse in a frilly, pastel pink strapless Burberry dress.

I also quite enjoyed Charlize Theron's flattering Dior gown (seen here with her dapper boyfriend Sean Penn!) And although I'm not a huge fan of Kim Kardashian I have to say she looked gorgeous in this black and blue Lanvin dress which showed off her curves beautifully. (A much better choice than the couch she wore last year.) Kate Mara's bold Valentino gown was also one of my faves. I thought it went well with her light-colored hair and shimmery makeup.

Last but not least, I have to give a shout out to my fellow Canadians! Rachel McAdam's stunned in Ralph Lauren and my girl Keltie Knight (who is from Sherwood Park, Alberta and is now a host for The Insider!) looked extremely elegant in a dreamy golden Reem Acra gown, posing with TV personality Nigel Barker.

There were also some not-so-elegant, questionable fashion choices at the Gala. Actually there were a lot but I narrowed it down to my three least-favorite:

Actress Brie Larson in Prada, model Kate Upton in Dolce & Gabanna and Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o, also in Prada. I have only one question: What were they thinking??

Who were your favorites at last night's Met Ball? Sound off in the comment section below!

9 comments:

Rebecca Jane said...

I think you're spot on with your picks! I have to say I was rather shocked by fashion-star Lupita showing up in that rather awful ensemble, usually she is a total winner with her fashion choices.

Closet Fashionista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Closet Fashionista said...

Yep, I loved Emma and Suki's looks! Kim did look okay, even though I really dislike her, haha.
Your questionables are dead on, so strange.
It didn't really fit with the theme but I loved Kirsten Dunst's ode to Star Wars in Rodarte ;)
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Courtney Erin said...

I love you're "what were they thinking" - totally agree!

Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

Anonymous said...

Great post, I love your top picks! Suki Waterhouse in Burberry was a favourite of mine too. I'm becoming more and more convinced with Kim Kardashian, love some of the two pieces she's been wearing lately.

I've written my own (much smaller) post on my faves from this year.
annalouiseblogs.blogspot.co.uk

Anna x

Adam said...

the last one is definitely the most unique

Stylishly in love said...

Great post. Love these dresses you picked out for your post.

Giveaway: Enter to win an Izak tote bag at stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com.

Love,
Sofia

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

J. said...

Love your picks-good and bad! Great write up Marie! Really enjoyed this post.
:) J.

how to sell a wedding dress said...

I was a little worried about fit , but fit beautifully, I am 5"3 and 125lbs and ordered a size 6 (it is a little snug around the waist, but it's a corset so that is expected).

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)