Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Not Just An Ordinary Mall

I thought it would be fun to introduce my international readers - and re-introduce my Canadian readers because I'm sure most of them are familiar with this famous national landmark - to the highlight of the city I live in, West Edmonton Mall. It's the biggest mall in North America and the fifth largest in the world. It covers over 6 million square feet in a huge-ass building. And I mean HUGE. I've lived in this city most of my life, have been to WEM gajillion times and I still manage to get lost! However I do always remember the way to Zara, H & M, F21, Anthropologie, Aldo, MAC and Sephora. : )~  I'm going to take you on a little journey and pretend you've come to visit me. First, I'd take you shopping! (Of course.)

There are over 800 stores and services in this mall. We just got our first Victoria's Secret store in Canada last week! I still haven't been inside; I went last Friday and there were about 100 people lined up, with security guards and all. I didn't have time to wait a couple of hours because I had a film to catch. Which I saw inside this mall since we have a massive movie theatre including an IMAX screen. Ok, back to our adventure!

Next I'd take you skating in the Ice Palace. We're in Canada after all...We could play a little hockey or practice our triple axle jumps.....Can you see Wayne Gretzky in the corner there???? Just kidding.

Let's play a round of mini-golf next. Or we could wait until later in the night for 'Putt 'N Glow' to play glow-in-the-dark golf, it's totally up to you.

Now I hope you brought your bathing suit/bikini/banana hammock because you just HAVE to experience the largest indoor Water Park in the world! When it's -30 degrees outside I like to come here and pretend I'm in a tropical country. There are palm trees in this complex, too and did I mention the pool turns into a wave pool every ten minutes or so?

Crappy picture but you get the gist of it, right? I've been on the one (of two) slides that go straight down. It's called the 'Screamer' but it should be called, "If you weren't wearing a thong then, you are now!" Note: Make sure you close your legs when riding this thing so your ass doesn't swallow your bikini bottom. And so you'll be able to bear children in the future.

Next I'd haul our butts to Galaxy Land, the largest indoor Amusement Park in the world : )

This place makes me happy because I absolutely love rides! This roller coaster is called the Mindbender but my favorite ride is the Space Shot, formerly the "Drop of Doom", which drops 75 feet in the air, pauses, and then drops another 50 feet in the air in about 4 seconds. Your heart jumps in your throat. It's AWESOME! The last time I was here I rode it five times in a row because there was no line-up. D. watched from the deck because he would've hurled if he went on with me. But you of course YOU would accompany me, right? ; )

This area is called the Sea Cavern. It's an indoor lake that contains a salt-water habitat with four sea lions and a replica of the Santa Maria. There's a ship? In the mall??? Why yes, yes there is!

Here's a close-up. The Santa Maria has been used for fundraisers, charity events and weddings. Also, a few drunk people have been known to jump into the water late at night. There are many pubs, an entertainment complex and a few nightclubs in this mall so people tend to get a little out of hand. But let's stay dry, ok? I don't wanna get arrested.

We'd definitely have to go see the Sea Lion show. Here's one of the them entertaining the audience : ) Isn't he cute?

Oh hi, Jessica Alba! Here's Jess when she was filming scenes for "Good Luck Chuck" with a few friends in the mall's penguin habitat.

After our day of shopping and playing I'd treat you to dinner at one of the numerous delicious restaurants located in the mall, probably on Bourbon Street...
 
...and take you to a show at The Comic Strip that will have you laughing your pants off. When you're ready to call it a day I would walk you to your Hotel (yes, it's in the mall, too) so you could get some rest. You could choose one of these theme rooms to stay in at the Fantasyland Hotel: Hollywood, Roman, Polynesian, Truck (?), Western, Arabian, African, Igloo (stereotype of Canada, here's me rolling my eyes), Sports or Canadian Rail with your very own Train Bed! You'd need a good sleep because we'd be doing this all again tomorrow!

So, are you in?




photos: taken by me and from Canada.com

31 comments:

Kara said...

OMG!! Us Ontario-ans (Ontarionites? lol) have heard stories of this infamous mall's amazingness but I never knew it was that crazy cool!! AHH!! I want to go! Pick me up at the airport tonight, we gotta go!!
You're pretty lucky to have all that in one place... plus amazing shops too!! Jealous!

xo

J. said...

Marie-GREAT post! You did a wonderful job showing off my FAV mall! Oh, I miss West Ed!!! I got the chance to go this summer and I loved every minute of it. Wish I still lived close!
Thanks for sharing!
We should go together, next time I am in E town!!!
:) J.

Unknown said...

NOW THAT'S a mall!!!!1

noone said...

there are so many cool stores in that mall. hehe i went there when I was 9, I remember the roller coaster pic but the rest looks so new to me! oh i wish i live in edminton just for the mall cuz ottawa shopping suckssss!

Nikki said...

That mall looks AMAZING!


xx
Nikki

MY REPUBLIC OF FASHION said...

Oh My God!! That mall looks amazing, those pools are so big. Love it!SarahD:)

Closet Fashionista said...

WOW!!! I want to go there!!! That looks like so much fun! You could spend a whole week there and not run out of stuff to do, haha
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Okay I'm pretty positive I would like to move into this mall and never ever ever leave. After every picture I was like "Oh my God! Oh my God!" That's an unreal mall. I'm so jealous you get to shop there! I think I'll make a trip to Canada for the sole reason of shopping at this mall.

Collage Vintage said...

Wow, great post and so interesting information, when i go to Canada sure i'll go to this mall!!! I'm in love with this pool :)!

Big Kiss

NaomiDee said...

ok, I have actual tears in my eyes!! lol. This maybe the best thing i have seen in my entire 21 years! I wanna go on those slides so bad..i cannot get over the fact you have hotels, water park, ice rink, amusement park in one frikin mall!! I'm in LOVE.

Les Deux said...

Goodness, I didn't know such an intense place existed! I've never been to Canada, but now I think I'll start planning a trip to this crazy mall of yours. I'm guessing that it'll have to be at least a week's stay though, assuming that I want to see everything.

Les Deux - Katie

Fashions Not A Luxury said...

WOW! Amazing all of that in 1 Shopping Mall. The Slides! Super Cool. Great Post :) My mom was asking if we wanted to go to Canada, but i think in Ontario where 1 of her friends live to visit. Maybe one day.
BTW Lovely Wedges on your Outfit Post, do you really have a Walmart over there too? Hmmm wonder if my Walmart has those Beautiful Wedges ♥ them Girlie.
X Ari, Florida
Fashions Not A Luxury

FASHIONISMYWAY by Cristina L said...

Damn it seems fantastic!!! xoxo

visit my blog

Lilacandgrey said...

Oh wow! This mall is INTENSE!
<3cara

Unknown said...

Every time this comes on the Travel Channel, I watch! I sooo want to go, it must be cool to live so close! XX!

Angela Joy said...

WOW, and I thought I was living by Southcoast Plaza was special...this is insane!

White Bazaar said...

I'm definately in! I've never seen a mall so big, wow, I need to shop here! The last time I saw a rollercoaster in a mall was in Malaysia and I thought their malls were insane, this definately beats them all! x

Mimi said...

amazing! that took my breath away! wow! i can spend a week or more just inside that mall! i won't even leave. haha. ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

this free bird said...

omg m - if they only knew about the cockroaches running the back hallways. BAHAHAHAHA

i worked for gap out of the wem location and downtown such a long time ago...the stories i could tell!!

i'm supposed to come home in september and will be swinging by yet again!!

xoxo,
carrie
awesome post lady!!

Mandy said...

WHOA! I'm definitely planning a trip there, lol. I remember seeing that roller coaster on the Travel Channel but I couldn't remember where it was from. I love coasters so that's definitely one of the highlights for me!

Kim Axani said...

Aw, good old west ed. I remember my parents taking me there and I went on all the rides. Super fun memories.

bananas. said...

oh em gee woman...i just died and went to mall heaven! ahhh i want one just like that!!! you canadians get EVERYTHING!!! ;)

paddle to shore said...

Ohhh I was at the Edmonton mall in 2007, I lived in calgary for a year because of my job and had the chance to visit, it was tons of fun!!

Charleston said...

like a country in a mall! x

www.pinstripeprince.blogspot.com

Arini Desianti Parawi said...

WOW!! this a great mall that i ever see. if i ever visit this place, i will not think twice to spent my whole in the place like this..lol:)

www.queendfashion.blogspot.com

Snappy-Q said...

Oh good old West Ed! One of Edmonton's redeeming qualities ;)
This post makes me want to go, but I think that would make "buy nothing August" a whole lot harder... especially if I ended up in Anthropology!

Diana said...

um this kind of looks like the most incredible place on earth!! i love everything about this place i want to go now!!!! you have a great blog :)

visit me! i'm hosting a animal ring giveaway and i hope you'll check it out! :) hope to see you soon!!

http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Oh, I totally forgot about this mall! This almost seals the deal: I MUST take a trip to Canada very soon! I went to the Mall of America yesterday, which also has a mini-theme park in it, but it looks like this one puts it to shame.

Style-Pursuit said...

Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog! You should definitely visit Poland as soon as possible and maybe we'll have a chance to meet! :o)

xoxo

City Cinderella said...

I haven't gone yet and I only have a week and a have left. I have to get my butt there to get some makeup with my sweet sweet discount!!

Francia Michelle Granados said...

i was there a long long time, i'm from el salavdor, is nice your blog

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)